|Minister Approves Proposals to Preserve Gamla bíó|
|Written by Iceland Review|
|Saturday, 02 July 2011 07:00|
The Minister of Education has decided to follow preservation proposals made by the Historic Building Committee.
From center of Reykjavík. Photo by Páll Stefánsson.
Gamla bíó was home to the Icelandic Opera Company for decades; they opened their doors to the public on May 8 of this year before moving their operations to Harpa, the new conference and concert center by the Reykjavík seaside. The preservation extends to the façade as well as the interior, including the lobby, the side balcony, the foyer and the main hall.
Other buildings the committee recommended for preservation are Laugarnesskóli, where the preservation extends to the façade and the main hall in the wing built in 1942-1945; the oldest part of the University Hospital Landspítali built in 1926-1930; the old Air Traffic Control Tower at Reykjavík’s domestic airport; and the façade of Laugavegur 10, home to Asía Restaurant.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 02 July 2011 11:43|